Thursday, September 7, 2017

Some Follow Up to Today's Class Session

Things I forgot to say but had to planned to mention

About your alias - Some students have been assuming (incorrectly) that each alias was selected because there work is somehow relevant to our class.  That is true for some of the economists on the list but not others.  I tried to get some classical economists on the list and some contemporary economists as well.  I also tried for some alphabetical variation in the names so it is easier to sort that way.  Also, I made a point of identifying women, where that otherwise made sense.  Economics as a profession has some issues on the gender front, some of that very recent.  So it is appropriate that you be exposed to some prominent women economists.

On that front, most of you are aware of the Nobel Prize in Economics.  You may not know, however, about the John Bates Clark Medal, given out by the American Economics Association to the best economist under 40.  Some of the winners on that list have since gone on to win the Nobel Prize.  I consulted that list in choosing some of the aliases.

That said, I don't change these from year to year because the names are now embedded in the technology - the Excel and the Google Forms.  It would be a lot of work for me to change these and it is just the type of clerical work that I really don't like to do.

This is why your alias is so odd.  Putting the fall 2017 piece after the Econ 490 part make the alias unique.  Students from last year and the years before that have had similar aliases, but with the semester that their course was offered.

On the economics of the music industry - I didn't ask, but should have, how one provider differs from another.  Do they all have the same music?  Or is some music only available with one provider?  Have you ever experienced having access to music for a while, but then losing access?  If so, do you know why that happened.

Also, if I had the time, I would have explored what you do for TV and movies.  Would you prefer a different provider for that than for music?  Or would you want those services bundled?

Then, I don't think anyone mentioned YouTube today.  So I should have asked whether there are any free archives, using YouTube as an example, that you access for music and/or for video.  

I should have also asked about music in your car.  Do you play it off your phone or do you have radio in your car and if so is that over the air or satellite radio?

One other question I would have been interested in pursuing is whether you know what type of music your parents listen to.  Ditto for your grandparents.   And then, how do they access that music?

Some links about stuff I mentioned in class

The Tipping Point - this book got quite a lot of attention when it came out.

How to get a job at Google.  This is the original column by Tom Friedman and here is the follow up column.

I looked for but did not find the piece I mentioned that was written by a recruiter and posted in LinkedIn.

No comments:

Post a Comment