Friday, September 29, 2017

From a Talk I Attended at the Educause Learning Initiative

Below is one slide from a PowerPoint presentation given back in 2008.  The talk was done by Thomas Reeves.  Many of the ideas in the presentation resonated with me.  You can click through the entire PowerPoint and get a sense of the ideas and issues.  It might also help you to understand the methods we are using in our class.  They derive from the considerations discussed in this talk.

Here is one other point.  While I think much of your education should be ethical, I am somewhat uncomfortable being put in the role of provider of that education.  I am trying to contain my role to getting you to consider the issues.  How to resolve the issues is for you to determine on your own or in consultation with friends, family, and your spiritual advisors.

Regarding the discussion we had in class yesterday about tipping, where I jokingly said that members of the class are too nice, you should be aware of some more current research that shows many people are very nice in certain contexts and then not nice at all in other contexts.  The current research tries to reconcile this inconsistency. 

No comments:

Post a Comment