Tuesday, December 5, 2017

Why people don't engage more in experimental consumption.

This piece is interesting - both because it ties into what we were saying in class today - name brands want repeat customers and get them if people don't experiment with the knock-off brands that are really just as good - and because it says something about a certain type of risk aversion.

I will note here that when I was your age (or a year or two older in graduate school) I did experiment eating spicy food.  Then, there was good Thai places in Chicago that were inexpensive, so a grad student could go out and have an interesting meal.  I would never eat that stuff today, my body can no longer handle spicy stuff.  So in that dimension I am much more risk averse than I once was.

In other dimensions, I believe, I still like to experiment.  The quiz of the day that we've been doing the last couple of weeks gives an experimental approach of sorts. I suspect you won't see something like that in your other classes. I wonder if participating in it will encourage you to do a bit more experimental consumption on your own - and not just in the food you consume, but in the activities you undertake.

No comments:

Post a Comment