Friday, December 15, 2017

I am reviewing the Virtual Elevator Speeches now

Here are two observations - mundane, but this is how you think when you are in grading mode.

1.  Regarding musical selection - many, but not all, of the pieces selected are more my vintage (or earlier) than your vintage.  I wonder if this reflects a subtle form of moral hazard or some fear/concern that I wouldn't get your vintage stuff.  (That fear is rational.  Making reference to TV shows or movies I haven't seen might very well communicate to students your age, but not to me.)

2.  I forgot to give you instructions about the end of the slideshow.  In fact, many presentations end before the music ends, so there is an abrupt conclusion that the viewer can be expecting (at least if the viewer is familiar with the music).  The right way to do this is either to time the slides to coincide with the end of the music or to gently fade out the music before the slides end.  Nobody will be penalized for not doing this, since the error is mine.  But note that they are less interesting to showcase as is.

As a result of 2, I am lest concern about the videos I'm recording of the slide presentation, particularly when they end. I do a bit of snipping so there isn't a lot of dead video after the slideshow is over, but it is not elegant. 

No comments:

Post a Comment