Monday, November 6, 2017

Blog Posts/Reminder - No Class Tomorrow/Steve Blass Disease

I am now caught up in commenting on the posts from this past week.  I'm sorry that it took longer than usual.  It was hard to find the time to do this while I'm in Michigan.

* * * * *

There is no class tomorrow as I will be driving back from Michigan during scheduled class time.  Here is the information about what you should do instead.

* * * * *

On the drive up, while I tried to listen to classical music on my phone, my wife was listening to some podcasts from This American Life that played on the car's audio system.  I couldn't avoid hearing that too and some of it I paid attention to.  This segment on Steve Blass Disease is interesting, in itself and also applied to our class.  The issue of whether a top performer suddenly can no longer perform well at all, and if there is an explanation it has nothing to do with physical well being nor with shirking, makes one wonder whether it goes beyond sports.  In golf it is called the yips.  I am not sure whether performance anxiety properly captures the idea because many people do overcome performance anxiety.  We are talking about a situation that is so debilitating that it is not overcome.

Act One: Aces Are Wild

No comments:

Post a Comment